Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

鼎泰豐 - Din Tai Fung - Xiao Long Bao... in Tokyo!!

I heard so many good reviews about the original one in Taiwan and had to come to see for myself.  I went with a friend who has tried the one in Taiwan so that I can write a better review/comparison.  Usually, this place is packed and the line extends around the corner, but being prepared as usual, we got there 10 minutes before it opened at 11.  While we sat waiting for our delicious xiao long bao, the line became longer around 11:30.  So if you want to come here without waiting, come before 11:30!!

We ordered a bunch of things... lor bak gao (pan fried radish cake which was actually fried here), some chinese noodle with sauce that resembled dandan mian, pork and vegetable xiao long bao, and lastly mochi rice dumpling~.  The xiao long bao had a thick skin which helped keep the hot soup neatly inside until you bite into it.  My friend told me that the xiao long bao in Taiwan was a bit larger and much cheaper.  Well what can I expect... we are in Tokyo!  The mochi rice dumpling didn't really have much taste, the dan dan mian noodle dish was average, and the radish cake was alright.   So overall, for the price we paid, it was a good experience but I probably would not try it again.  Well not here anyways.  Next trip, Taiwan!!









No comments:

Post a Comment